Founded in 1796, the first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown constructed the church ca. 1804. Dr. William Thornton, Architect of the Capitol, is credited with the Federal-style design. The theater of the historic church was recently renovated. The project involved field surveys and structural design work necessary to remove and restructure the existing annex theater floor. An investigation and structural evaluation of the existing cast-iron and timber-framed balcony also was performed, to determine feasibility of replacing the church's existing organ with a new 30,000-pound organ of a much grander scale.